Tips for animal shelters on how
to make Adopt-A-Dog Month a Success
- Take photos of the dogs in settings outside the shelter; then post the
photos next to their profile on the kennel. This gives each dog a personality
outside of the shelter environment.
- Hang a bulletin board in the lobby with pictures of each adopted dog or
puppy and their new family.
- Solicit local pet-supply businesses to donate dog and puppy supplies,
including leashes, collars and treats to give away with each adoption during
- Hold a best-ever dog toy contest with local schools. Be sure to
provide guidelines for safe materials and construction ideas for kids.
- Invite a local classroom to the shelter to decorate the dog room. Bright
colors and fun drawings help to make a cheery environment for visitors looking
- Encourage visitors to spend time playing with each dog theyâ€™re
- Hold a Dog Drive in your community during October; ask for
items like dog toys, food and blankets and towels.
- If your shelter has a website, promote dogs that are available for
adoption. Also include information about your adoption policies and caring
for a dog.
- Help gather more information on the behavior of each adoptable dog. Assign
staff members or volunteers to a specific dog. Rate the dog for ease of
walking on a leash, commands known already, etc. Then post this positive
information on the dogâ€™s kennel.
- Name each dog or puppy that enters the shelter, if they donâ€™t already
have a name. Names help give each dog more personality.
- Help to calm the dogs in the kennel by shutting off the lights at
scheduled times. This helps the animals relax.
- Spritz natural oil essences like lavender diluted in water throughout the
kennels several times each day. The pleasant scent helps to quiet the
- Help promote Adopt-A-Dog Month through mobile adoptions, such as those at
PETsMARTâ€™s Luv-A-Pet centers.
- Have volunteers make inexpensive bandanas for dogs available for adoption.
Decorate the bandanas with the dogâ€™s name and other designs.
- Encourage your local newspaper or television station to feature a
different adoptable dog or puppy each day or week in October.
- Teach staff to stuff KongsĂŁ with peanut butter
or biscuits. Interactive toys give the dogs great mental exercise.
- Develop an educational program just about dogs and offer the program
during the month.
- Ask local veterinarians to give a discount on a dog-related service during
- Ask groomers to give a discount coupon during the month.
- Play classical music in the kennels; it too helps calm dogs.
- Ask the local scout troops to make homemade dog biscuits, package them
cutely and sell them in honor of Adopt-A-Dog Month.
- Host a Gone to the Dogs event. Make it either a pet fashion
show where the attendees can even bring their dogs. Or, it can be a huge
birthday party for all owners who donâ€™t know their dogâ€™s exact birthday.
Anything that celebrates the bond that we share with our canine friends will
make a perfect party theme!
For more information about Adopt-a-Dog Month activities, contact Courtney
Green at [email protected].